Blend all the ingredients for the satay spices in a food processor until they reach a fine, smooth paste. Set aside three tablespoons of spice mix to make the peanut sauce
Place the remaining spice mixture in a container and add the chicken pieces. Leave to marinate for at least four hours or overnight.
Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan (including three tablespoons of spice paste you have reserved) and bring it to a boil. Over medium-high heat, bring the sauce to a boil. Stirring every so often to avoid it sticking at the bottom. Reduce the heat and simmer the sauce for 5 minutes. Set aside
The skewers should be soaked in water for a minimum of 10 minutes. The chicken pieces should be skewered onto the skewers in 6 pieces each.
You can cook the skewers on a flat-top griddle, a grill heated to high, or even a barbecue. The skewers should be turned frequently so each side is charred for about 5 minutes or until the chicken has cooked.
Serve with freshly chopped cucumber and red onions, and peanut sauce
- 1kg skinless, boneless thighs
- 1 Lemongrass stalk white bottom only, with stiff outer leaves removed and finely chopped
- One large onion peeled, roughly chopped
- Five garlic cloves peeled
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tsp chili powder
- 1 Tsp turmeric ground
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 100g dark brown sugar or palm sugar
- 180g roasted dry peanuts, lightly salted and ground in a food processor into a fine crumb
- 200g of coconut milk
- 60g dark brown sugar or palm sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp of tamarind paste
- One pinch of chili powder
- 150ml water
- 1/2 tsp salt