The homemade potato gnocchi only takes 2 minutes to cook. This easy dinner recipe combines gnocchi and a simple tomato-based sauce to create a delicious veggie dinner.
- One tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- One small onion, finely chopped
- Three cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- One can (28 ounces) of whole tomatoes with juice, crushed manually
- One can (14 1/2 ounces) of tomato sauce
- Two sprigs basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Basic Potato Gnocchi
- Thinly shaved parmesan cheese for serving
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, but do not let it smoke. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion turns translucent (5 to 7 minutes). Add wine and cook until the liquid is mostly evaporated. Add tomato juice, tomato sauce, and basil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm. Remove from heat.
- Add one teaspoon of salt to a large pot. Add half the gnocchi. When they reach the top of the pool (after approximately 2 minutes), continue cooking until they are tender, another 15 seconds. Transfer gnocchi using a slotted teaspoon to the pan with sauce. Repeat the process with the remaining gnocchi.
- Gently toss gnocchi when reheating on low heat. Serve with cheese shavings.