I know this pattern is called Hazel the Hedgehog…but being Australian my kids are not too familiar with hedgehogs. As soon as the block was finished they named her ‘Spike the Echidna’ and it stuck!
When Angie from Gnome Angel announced that she was hosting a Hazel Quilt-A-Long using Elizabeth Hartman‘s pattern during February I decided to join in. This year I am making a point of trying new things and participating in more sewing events. It’s a good way to push myself and try new things, and also join in and connect with the online sewing community.
I started off with just one block and it took some time. I love this orange leaf print and knew it would be perfect for Spike’s spines. The leaves give it some additional pointiness (is that even a word?) and then I went for solids for the body and a low volume grey spot for the background. Despite the accuracy of the block, it’s not paper pieced. (making it more appealing for me!)
I knew that making a series of these blocks for a quilt would be too much right now, so I decided upon a cushion. First I added more of the background fabric to make the block large 16″ x 16″. I basted it and I used my hera marker (a little device that draws a crease into projects rather than a pencil or pen mark) to draw up a simple criss cross (Kriss Kross – jump jump!)* design for the quilting and I quilted in a pale grey thread.
Finally I bound the cushion (my first time binding a cushion!) with the same fabric as the spines. It finished it really nicely as I didn’t want to add any other colour.
The back keeps the colour scheme but I used a grey with larger white polka dots that I had floating around in my stash. To conceal the zipper I used this tutorial by Ms Midge.
Spike was very quickly claimed by Anna and now has a happy life living as a feature cushion on her bed next to her pet pillows!