I signed up for the Strawberry Swap via Instagram a couple of weeks ago and intended to make a mug rug for my partner. But, as it happens sometimes, my first attempt was a big fat fail!
Not a terrible, horrible, must rip and throw away fail, but not good enough to send to my swap partner. Funny how swaps always bring out some self doubt and stress about my skills.
So I’ve adopted the mug rug as my own and it now lives on my bedside table and provides a home for my bits and pieces. These photos are completely unstyled – this is my bedside table, in situ.
The pink actually looks pretty good next to that dark wood!
What’s wrong with the mug rug? Just small things. Not all the points line up nicely on the patchwork. I cut the binding too thin then had trouble stitching it on, which mucked up a couple of the mitred corners. The strawberry fussy cut pieces were too big for the seam allowances once the 2 1/2″ squares were sewn up.
Not huge problems but enough that I wasn’t happy. We are always our own worst critics.
In my partner’s information she said she’d like a zipper pouch so I made her a box shaped one like this one. Next up I’m planning to try another mug rug using this strawberry paper piecing pattern. I’m looking forward to giving it a go – I’ve never paper pieced before.
I’m also planning to include some yummy strawberry themed sweets in my parcel to my partner. Freddo frogs for sure!