It’s been a while but I’ve finally had some time to get back to the sewing machine this weekend.
First up was a quilt – I’ve had the top completed for several weeks but just needed to psych myself up for the back breaking task of basting it. We have wooden floor boards and I’ve found the best method for me is to tape my quilt backs to the kitchen floor. Works well but it can be really hard on my back and knees!
I’ve been making a concerted effort to use what I have in my stash. This quilt has what I like to call “franken-batting” – several smaller pieces of batting stitched together to make a large piece. When it came time to bind, I searched through my thread stash and was pretty pleased to discover I had the exact shade of thread I needed to hand stitch my binding. Shopping from the stash can reveal surprises sometimes!
Today I decided to start something new so I pulled some scraps out for some patchwork. I chose and aqua and orange palette – so pretty! I don’t have much orange in my stash but this combination might encourage me to look for some more orange shades next time I’m fabric shopping.
Those scraps turned into this patchwork panel. The project is still a work in progress but hopefully I’ll have something finished to share next week. It was nice just to cut, arrange pieces and stitch without hurry.
Hope you had a lovely Easter weekend and got some stitching time too!