As you know I’ve been sewing my way through many of the blocks in the book Modern Blocks by Susanne Woods as part of the ASWC Modern Blocks Quilt Along. I’m also one of the contributors and today is the first of two tutorials I am sharing to as part of the Quilt Along.
Cutting: You need two contrasting fabrics. I’ve used white as my background and some Joel Dewberry Herringbone in Pond.
Cut 2 – 2″ x 4 1/2″
Cut 2 – 2″ x 8 1/2″
Cut 1 – 2″ x 5″
Cut 1 – 2 x 12 1/2″
Cut 1 – 4 1/2″ x 5 1/2″
Cut 2 -2 1/2″ x 7 1/2″
Cut 2 – 5″ x 5 3/4″
All seams are 1/4″ and pressed open at each step.
1. Take the white 4 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ piece and the two aqua 2″ x 4 1/2″ pieces. With right sides together, sew an aqua piece to the top and bottom of the white piece. Press. (far left picture above)
2. Take the two aqua 2″ x 8 1/2″ pieces and with right sides together sew them to each side of the unit. Press. (middle picture above)
3. Take the two white 2 1/2″ x 7 1/2″ pieces and with right sides together sew to the top and bottom of the unit. Press. (far right pic above)
Set this unit aside.
4. Sew the two 5″ x 5 1/2″ white pieces to either side of the aqua 2″ x 5″ piece. Press. (left picture above).
5. Use your rotary cutter and ruler to cut this unit in half lengthways.
6. Take the first unit and sew the two halves you just cut to either side. Press. (left picture above)
7. With your rotary cutter and ruler, cut this unit in half lengthways.Press. (right picture)
8. Take the aqua 2″ x 12 1/2″ strip and sew each half of the unit to either side. Press.
You are finished! The block is complete. Trim to 12 1/2″ square.
If you make this block during November, be sure to link up your finished blocks to the And Sew We Craft monthly QAL link party for a chance to win some amazing prizes! You can find the link party, all the previous blocks and all the details about the Quilt Along here.