Before Christmas I made this sewing machine cover – I think it’s one of my favourite projects to date.
I needed one as I don’t like using the hard cover that came with my Janome (which is an older version of the Janome 2212 Sewing Machine
) I couldn’t find a tutorial I liked, so I made this up as I went along. I was so engrossed that I didn’t take many photos of the step by step process. It’s really easy, so I’ll explain how I made it.
– one charm pack or 24 x 5″ squares
– one metre (yard) of coordinating fabric for side panels and lining
– 1.5 metres (59″) bias binding
– one metre (yard) batting (cotton or polyester – I used a cheap polyester as I won’t be washing this often)
This diagram is the exact layout (including the colours of my charm squares!) that I used. You need to cut 4 side panel pieces (2 for exterior, 2 for lining) and cut a piece of lining the same size as the charm square panel.
How to make the Quilted Sewing Machine Cover:
1. Sew the charms together according to the diagram above, back with a piece of batting the same size, and quilt as desired. I quilted diagonally through the squares.
2. Back the side panels with batting and quilt as desired.
3. Sew the side panels at the seam across the middle of the charm panel, with right sides together. When you lay it out, it will look like the diagram above.
4. Pin the side panel to the charm square panel. You will have the shape of the cover. Stitch up the sides.
5. Sew the lining pieces the same way.
6. Place the lining inside the exterior piece, wrong sides together.
7. Pin bias binding in place around raw edge, and stitch in place.
Fabric details: My charm squares were from a pack of Half Moon Modern by Moda, they were a gift to me in a swap from amazing quilter Heather. I only used the charms in the aqua, red and grey colours. I love the scissors print – it suits this project so well! My lining and side panels are Riley Blake Chevrons in aqua.
Love this project and want to see more? Make sure you sign up for my newsletter, where I’ll be sharing all my latest tutorials!